Did I Sprain My Ankle?
Ankle sprains occur when ligaments that connect the bones in the ankle and foot tear. If treated properly, your ankle will heal well, allowing safe return to activity. Dr. Sara Bouraee and Dr. Mahmoud Salem of Hampton Roads Foot and Ankle Specialists, with offices in Williamsburg and Hampton, VA, offer treatments for ankle sprains. Here are five signs you've sprained your ankle.
1. Pain- An ankle sprain can be painful and can make it hard to carry out your daily activities. You may also feel discomfort or pain when you place weight on the affected area. The pain can worsen when the area is pressed and during walking or standing. if your ankle is painful to walk on, be sure to see your podiatrist.
2. Redness- A sprained ankle can cause redness and warmth around the affected area. If your ankle is red, warm and swollen it is inflamed. Redness and warmth is caused by increased blood flow to the area.
3. Swelling- when an ankle is injured with a sprain, swelling occurs. Swelling in the body’s normal protective response to an injury. Swelling occurs because of increased fluid in the tissue. This is a normal reaction of the body and is the start of the healing process. However, oftentimes, the body produces more swelling than necessary.
4. Bruising- An ankle sprain causes bruising around the affected joint. A contusion, commonly known as a bruise, is made up of blood beneath the skin. A bruise results in a discoloration of the skin. Bruising is typically a result of injury to the blood vessels in the skin.
5. Stiffness- An ankle sprain causes stiffness and limited range of motion. Inflammation and pain often limit movement after the injury. Your doctor may advise against moving the ankle to allow your ankle to heal. Your doctor may also design an exercise program to reduce stiffness after an ankle sprain.
If you have an ankle sprain, we can help you today. Call Hampton Roads Foot and Ankle Specialists at 757-220-3311 to schedule an appointment in Williamsburg, VA, Call 757-224-7605 to schedule an appointment in Hampton, VA.